The US Department of Education sets the regulations and policies governing Federal Perkins loans. As of June 30, 2018, authorization for Perkins loans was not renewed by Congress, the program has ended, and no new loans may be awarded.
For existing Perkins loans, repayment, deferment and forgiveness options will not change. The interest on the loans remains at 5% APR, and The University of Texas at Austin, Student Accounts Receivable, will continue to service these loans.
You may designate another individual to handle the affairs of your Perkins loan but you must provide us with written authorization. Please complete our authorization form and return it to our office.
Name / Address Changes
You, as the borrower, are responsible for keeping the university current on any address changes. The Perkins Loan Services will use the "local address" maintained by the Registrar's office for your mailing address. Failure to receive your monthly statement does not remove your responsibility for making your monthly payment on time.
- If you are changing your name, please provide us with either your marriage certificate, or the legal order for name change.
- Call, write, email, or fax us with your request.
- Indicate your new address on your payment coupon.
- Login to UTDirect and change your address.
- Call our office
- When moving, be sure to complete a "Change of Address" form with the U.S. Post Office.
Student Loan Ombudsman
If you dispute the terms of your loan in writing, and the institution does not resolve the dispute, you may contact the following for assistance:
U.S. Department of Education
830 First St NE, Mail Stop 5144
Washington, DC 20202-5144
1-877-557-2575 (toll free)