The University encourages employees to opt out of receiving a paper W-2 tax form and instead retrieve their form online through Workday. Electronic copies of W-2 forms that are retrieved online are legal documents that meet all the same IRS requirements as paper forms.
Once W-2 forms are available after year-end processing, accessing your form online allows you to do so at your convenience, when you need the information for year-end tax preparation. In addition to providing a more secure way to receive information, opting out of paper tax forms helps the University save money on paper and mailing costs and furthers the goal of making the University a greener campus.
Once your election is made, you do not need to submit it again each year—the election stays in place unless you wish to change it at a later time.
To opt out of receiving a paper copy of your W-2, please follow the steps below:
- Log into Workday and select the Pay application.
- On the right side of the screen, select Tax Documents.
- Under the ‘Printing Election’ column, select Edit, then select OK at the bottom of the next screen.
- Select the first option button, Receive electronic copy of my Year End Tax Documents, then select OK at the bottom of the screen
- Select Done to complete your election.
You will be able to access your W-2 tax documents online as soon as they become available, before the IRS deadline of January 31.